Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Outfit Post: Poetic License

Last night I lived the dream, that is,
to escape the suburbs and walk among the poets and the artists.
The grip of black rubber on tired highway asphalt carried me farthest
from the suburbs where I'm always sleeping, to a downtown, a little theatre
I paid the man, and the parking metre,
to see what I might discover there, beyond the picket fence, hoping for something sweeter.

Sure I'm waxing dramatically, but isn't that what poetry slams are all about? For those of you who don't know: a poetry slam is a competition where writers perform their written pieces before an audience. Five random judges are selected to score the poem and the performance out of ten. Often there are multiple rounds,  and at the end, the last poet standing gets the prize. (Usually repute or money or both.) This is exactly what I went to see two nights ago.

I've been to a handful of them and every time I go, I always leave wanting more. The poetry community is tight knit, laid back and psychotically talented. It's intimidating to watch these people shine, but it's also inspiring. I never depart from a slam without the urge to write, and also awe and respect for the power of human expression and condition. The absolute best way to experience is a slam is to find the movement in your local town and to check it out. When all else, fails, we have the internet.

Not only was last night a youth slam, where young people brought up their work to compete and perform, but there was also a headliner. A famed Canadian poet by the name of Shane Koyczan, known to most people as 'that poet guy at the Vancouver winter Olympics a couple years back.' He and his band, The Long Story Short are touring, and I was lucky to catch them live. If you want a taste of it (and trust me, you do) check out the video below:
 
100% certified Bangarang. I had the pleasure to see this man up close and personal. He made me laugh, he made me cry, and he made me ache to put pen to paper, or at least fingers to keyboard. If you ever have the chance to see Shane live in action, do it. A thousand times over, do it. I can't emphasize this anymore butIcantry DO IT. 

One of the things I get weird about at slams is what to wear to them. I know it's 100% over thinking it, but I get self conscious around people I think are awesome... I happen to think poets are awesome.  Do you want to project artsy, charming, pretentious, badass, or all of the above? What it really comes down to, in the end, I wear whatever I feel like. This time, I went low key, capping it off with a beret. Why? BECAUSE I CAN. (I heart beatniks.) The biggest part of wearing something you're paranoid about is attitude. Rock it anyway... and if you're still insecure when out and about, you can always claim it's ironic.

Shane totally complimented my belt too. He said it's a finishing flag or a checkerboard or something. Wink! That and he called me a lovely lady. Life made.
  Combat Boots: Aldo Skinny Jeans: BDG Vest: H&M Tank: Forever 21 Beret: Gift from a friend.

What items have you claimed in the name of irony?
-Riley
The Velvet Team

No comments:

Post a Comment