Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Show & Tell: Blink's Sneaker Wedges

One of the best wardrobe changes of the year is trading out clunky winter boots for a pair of sandals. This annual liberation of the feet is celebrated in an ancient ritual known as “flinging all your winter stuff into the back of your closet and not looking at it until the next time you see frost on the morning grass.” Sometimes this sacred act is accompanied by a happy dance — or maybe that’s just me.


Sandals are great: they show off your new pedicure and keep your feet cool. However they've got one major shortcoming:  most offer no support for your feet, and this situation isn’t likely to change any time soon.  Dr. Scholl is never going to collaborate with Jeffrey Campbell. ‘Nuff said.


This is a life lesson I learned the hard way. Miss Rebekah Eden and I went to Montreal for the long weekend, and during the trip, we walked EVERYWHERE in sandals. Downtown, uptown, for shopping, for dancing, for movies.  By the end of the second day we were bandaging our blisters and I was literally limping. The smallest step caused me pain. We had an another day of action ahead of us, and I was hobbling around the hotel room grimacing with each step. Then I broke out my sneakers, and the agony all but evaporated. It was on with the show and the rest of the trip after that. AMEN SNEAKERS!

Whether they’re paired with jeans, shorts or even a sassy sundress everyone should have a pair of summering sneakers, for those days when sandals just aren’t in the cards due to rain, sprain or other something else. I'm not talkin' some every day high top here either. This week's coveted item is high style and over the top. They've  been worn by celebrities like Anne Hathaway and BeyoncĂ©, in her music videos and on the street. 
They've been sensationalized on the runways of Marc Jacobs and rocked by fashionistas and style bloggers. They're even a little controversial, their unique style polarizing opinions to love or hate almost instantly. They are sneaker wedges and they're now a THING. These shoes are self explanatory in name, daring in design and a little weird. I admit it. I laid my eyes on them and I wasn’t sure we would get along. Then I met these:

Blink’s Adonnaa style sneaker wedges in purple. It was love at first sight. These are the Velcro sneakers I adored as a kid dressed up as secret wedges and lacquered in a grape leather hue. While I have yet to secure a pair of these beauties for my very own, I know just how I know just how I'm going slot them into my closet when I do.

 Beaded headband - Forever 21, Sunglasses - Aldo, Socks - ZARA, Owl Bag - Etsy, Romper - ASOS,
Stud bracelet - Forever 21, Sneaker Wedges - heels.com



I love the idea of a play suit to make sure that things are nice and breezy, even without sandals. I even picked a pair of open work socks so that your feet get a little extra help for staying cool.

These get the 'item of the week' spot for a couple of reasons. Where a pair of Marc's might put you back $350, you can buy Blink's interpretation for just over $100. Not only that but they come in a wild spectrum of colours and styles (think blue metallic or black & gold snakeskin) enough to make your inner colour kid run in hyperactive circles. So if purple isn't your thing, you can check out ALL the others and pick one to suit your sartorial cravings. That is, of course, if you dig these pumped up kicks at all.

So that's it! which side of the controversy do you stand on? How would you rock these, if you were going to rock them at all?

- Riley
The Velvet Team

No comments:

Post a Comment