Thursday, June 21, 2012

Trendy Thursday: Longer Lengths


While on the same delightful thrift store shop that Riley and I went on where she found a killer pair of leopard print capris, I found a few fun little things of my own. The haul included a palm tree printed dress, some pieces of jewelry, and my first ever midi skirt. For those of you who are uninformed, a midi skirt is the length between mini skirt and maxi skirt. Of course, that’s a very extreme gap, but I classify midi from anywhere just below the knee to about mid-calf. Here are some wonderful examples from the Burberry Prorsum S/S 2012 runway:
(Photo Credit: Fashion Review)

The first thing that always comes to mind when I think of midi skirts is the 1950’s, where poodle skirts and mid-length skirts were being worn by everyone and their mother. It’s such a classy but playful look, but the problem I always had with midi skirts was my proportions. I don’t think height should stop anyone from giving things a chance -- I’m pretty average at 5’6” -- but the problem is my legs are definitely shorter  in proportion to my torso, and the midi skirts always just seemed to accentuate that in the worst way possible. But I love them; I just didn’t want to spend the money on something that I may not wear often.

But then this beauty appeared to me in the form of one $7.99 flowery garment, and I just couldn’t resist for a price like that. Have we mentioned how much we love thrift stores? Because we love thrift stores.
Romper (under skirt): H&M / Skirt: Thrifted / Shoes: Aldo / Sunglasses: H&M
All other accessories: Thrifted
There are a few reasons I love this skirt, beginning with the bright flowery print. Ever since I wrote that post about mixing patterns, I’ve had a love affair with florals that I’m hoping will never, ever go away.  I also love this skirt because it wasn’t too long. My thoughts with past midi skirts on chopping my already short legs down a few more notches have been silenced. The problem with many that I’d tried is they were too long for my legs. For those of you with legs that go on for ages, not only am I jealous of you, but also those mid-calf midi skirts are definitely made for you. This one is cut just below my knees, which still lets most of my calves show. And, let’s face it: I need all the leg I can get!


Side note: I’m definitely cheating a little here, as platform wedges will give anyone a longer leg-line! For those of you afraid to try this style, pair a midi skirt with a pair of heels or wedges and see if that helps!


But don’t worry girls! The midi-skirt is not the only thing I’m covering today. I also want to cover a style that women of all ages have adapted to like ‘fabric’ is their middle name. The maxi skirt, or full-length skirt, is one of those reoccurring styles we always see when summer hits. Everyone seems to become these fabulous bohemian princesses as soon as the temperature rises. I have to say, a few years ago, maxi skirts were the last thing on my mind. But the more I saw them, the more I began to fall in love with one of the most comfortable yet classic silhouettes there is.

Band of Outsiders has a few long lengths in their runway, mixed in with midi skirts, rompers, hoodies and collared shirts. But Band of Outsiders is so hip and bohemian, I knew I had to give you guys a little view.
(Photo Credit: Style.com)

Over the past two years I’ve had a few maxi dresses, one tragically lost to a stain from a shawarma (R.I.P). I invested in two more for this summer, one a basic jersey number with a funky back, and the other was a strapless royal blue dress with a huge tulip skirt. I’ve been able to wear my jersey one a few times, but I hadn’t yet gotten to wear the other, so I thought I would use it here!
Dress: Marshalls / Sunglasses: H&M / All other accessories: Thrifted

The best part about maxi dresses is they pretty much make an outfit themselves. You can choose how much or little you want to accessorize. A plain jersey dress can go from comfort to super chic just adding a necklace and a belt. This one I just kept simple, with a chain necklace and a few bracelets.

I think the best part about these longer length skirts, whether you go midi or all the way down to maxi, is they are just so elegant. It’s one of those instances where you don’t have to show a bunch of skin to be sexy and posh, but it’s all about how the fabric covers you. You can do as I did and go a little more revealing by going strapless, or you could pair them with a fun t-shirt, like I have in the outfit below!
Skirt: ModCloth / Shirt: Forever21 / Wedges: Lulu's / Purse: ASOS
Sunglasses: Aldo / Earrings: Forever21

So many younger women or girls think of their grandmothers when these think of wearing anything below the knee, but I disagree; they can be as fresh and young as you allow them to be! Here I matched up this kelly green midi skirt with a bright t-shirt and a cute little purse. Now, look me in the screen and tell me that’s something your grandmother would wear. If you can honestly say that, then, congratulations, you have the most fun grandmother out there!

Do any of you own maxi or midi skirts/dresses? What draw you to them? How do you find yourself wearing them in this hot summer heat?

No comments:

Post a Comment